The customer is a service company representing major brands of UPS, Diesel Generating Sets and Precision Air Conditioners. Their clients are Data Centers, Retail Stores, Refrigerated Warehouses and Manufacturing units who depend on critical infrastructure operating 24×7 without failures.
The customer was looking for an integrated remote device monitoring solution, to remotely monitor their client devices from a common platform. The conventional method was to use monitoring tools provided by the device manufacturer (OEM). The drawbacks to this were many:
- There were different tools for different devices, mostly in-built with panel display
- Even within a single client site there were multiple panels or display monitors to check for device status and alerts
- As most OEM tools were not web -enabled, remote monitoring was not possible
- Client in-house staff would monitor the device panel infrequently and danger signs would not be reported promptly to the customer (the service provider)
- By the time the service provider reached site, the machine may have already failed, leading to business disruption at client site. The service provider would in most cases be on firing line
- If device was on warranty or on support contract with part replacement, it meant service provider would have to bear this cost, although it could have been avoided if problem was reported on time by client’s staff
- It was expensive to send field engineers to site with loss of productivity during travel hours
- On most occasions, client’s staff would not write down the error code appearing on the panel. By the time the field engineer reached site, the machine was already down, and error code was not retrievable. This led to iterative method of detecting the root cause of the problem.
The customer selected GFS Crane Cloud, a multi-tenant remote device monitoring application that can securely monitor multiple categories of devices with different protocols at different client sites from a central Network Operating Center (NOC). Added to this was Asset Management capabilities that provided ownership and history of all devices, along with their maintenance records.
Improving Customer Service. Enhancing Productivity. Reducing Costs
With GFS Crane Cloud Remote Device Monitoring, the service provider’s clients saw (a) immediate improvement in customer service, (b) less business disruptions due to machine failures and (c) did not have to deploy their own manpower to monitor the devices.
For the Service Provider, the benefits were immense:
- Regaining customer trust, loyalty and retention
- No longer depending on clients’ staff to report an issue. In fact, well before it became an issue, the service provider staff could detect an impending problem
- Proactive action meant in many cases avoiding part replacement
- Improved productivity and reduced travel by field engineers to customer sites